We in the nursing profession spend a lot of time reading clinical journals and books. But an equal amount of time needs to be devoted to personal and spiritual growth and development for balance and harmony. So here are my top ten must reads for nurses (and others, too). Each has been transformational for me in some way and has contributed to my being a better nurse and a better person – more fully engaged in life and work.
1. The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
2. The Success Principles by Jack Canfield (note who’s quoted on pg 204)
3. Full Catastrophe Living by John Kabat-Zinn
4. The Second Half of Life by Angeles Arrien (for the over 50 set)
5. Love Yourself, Live Your Spirit by Sonia Choquette
6. The Artist’s Way by Julie Cameron
7. Write it Down, Make It Happen by Henriette Anne Klauser
8. The Gift of Change by Marianne Williamson
9. Transformation Soup by SARK
10. The Hidden Messages in Water by Masaru Emoto
If you’ve already read some of these (or even if you haven’t), consider listening to the book on CD (if applicabale), especially those read by the author. You get a different perspective when listening rather than reading. Besides, there’s always something new you pick up the 2nd or 3rd time around. What are your favorites?